Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is one of the leading causes of premature death in the United Kingdom. It affects 7 million people and accounts for 1.6 million disability-adjusted life years. One of the biggest risk factors for Cardiovascular disease is Hypertension and it is estimated that over 5.5 million people are living with undiagnosed Hypertension in England alone. Early detection of hypertension is vital in reducing the risk of developing further complications including cardiovascular disease. Over the past two years, levels of detection have fallen due to the impact of COVID-19 on routine blood pressure monitoring; that is where Kinton Pharmacy comes in. We provide you with a Blood pressure check service in Great Missenden that is stress-free and easy.
Hypertension, also known as High Blood Pressure is a common condition whereby the long-term force of blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health severe problems. Unfortunately, Hypertension does not portray any noticeable symptoms and the only way to find out if your blood pressure is high is to have it checked, therefore it is important to get regular checkups. If left untreated, it can increase your risk of serious problems such as heart attacks and strokes.
The causes of high blood pressure are not always clear however you may be at a higher risk if you:
– eat too much salt and do not eat enough fruit and vegetables
– do not do enough exercise
– are overweight
– drink too much alcohol or caffeine-based drinks
– smoke regularly
– are over the age of 65
– are sleep deprived or have disturbed sleep
– have a relative with high blood pressure
– are of black African or black Caribbean descent
– live in a deprived area
How to Reduce Blood Pressure
There are lifestyle changes that you can make that can help prevent developing Hypertension or they may help you reduce it.
– exercise regularly
– monitor your salt intake and drink plenty of water
– increase your fibre intake and always aim to get your 5 a day
– lose some weight (if your BMI is above 25)
– stop smoking
– reduce alcohol & caffeine intake
– focus on getting good sleep
Our Blood pressure check service will help you determine whether you are at risk. Simply book an appointment to get your blood pressure checked and following the results we will assist in giving you healthy living advice as well as sign-post you to the necessary healthcare professionals if needed.